Thursday, February 7, 2013

Happy New Year... 1 month down

Black Cherry Tomatoes
Happy New year.
We are already a month through - where did that go?
Wow, it seems like an age since I last blogged. Life has been busy, and Im enjoying the change in pace.
Have finally got the little people sorted into some kind of order, and now its my turn.
We had a full-on holidays, and it has been hard to settle into that back-to-school routine again!
I spent the day in the garden yesterday, amazed at how much it has changed.
Broccoli - Waltham

I have the garden in several stages at the moment.
Russian Giant - up to 12 ft
Lots of seeds still coming on.
Lesson learned - its messy when theres carrot seed, kale seed, mizuna and fennel etc all doing their thing. Each week Im turning out seeds to winnow and then package. It isnt pretty, but it has been productive. I have had more interest this year in seeds so far, than ever before. Long may it last. At present Im planning where to take this. I have started looking at packaging options.

Ive changed my focus, alongside the regular vegetables we eat now, I have started a juicing garden. Spinach, Kale, carrots, cucumbers, celery, silver beet and chard - all things I grow in my own garden! I  also have three or four lemon trees, and mandarins, and apples... for the fruit side of things

Im sure youve heard of Joe Cross? - Fat, Sick and nearly Dead -  he stars in an inspirational movie about how he lost weight and ended up healthier and able to come off his prescription medication for urticaria - and he started by juicing vegetables and fruit...
What better way to reduce the fats and sugars and reboot your health with a quick nutritious hit of vitamins and minerals!?

Joes favourite Juice recipe goes something like this

6 Kale leaves
4 Sticks of Celery
2 Green Apples
1.2 lemon (peeled)
1 thumb sized piece of ginger

Blitzed in the juicer, and drunk over ice.

And as I sit here, mine doesn't taste too bad...
Im not sure Im in for the entire sixty day challenge that Joe did... not yet.

Happy Gardening!

EB

2 comments:

  1. Thrilled you're going to be sending your seeds to other NZ bloggers! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophie... Have decided on some new packaging... Sourcing it now :) Thank YOU for the opportunity!!

    ReplyDelete