Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Self Seeding... Time to Collect... Dry, Save.

Its that time of year again... Seed Collecting Time.
All the plants are giving their seed, so Im madly collecting what I can, wherever I can... drying it in the sun, on the windowsills on little white saucers. Once dried, the seed is put into small amounts in the small homemade white envelopes - all organized with dates, types and what-have-you on them. Im so organized, its scary!

This week I have some Grey Crown Pumpkin seeds drying, Green striped Butternut Pumpkin, Marguerite Daisy, Common Tansy, Lettuce, and a few others that escape me at the moment...
Ive used my Journalling Stamp to jazz up the envelopes with lines for me to write on. They look like what they are - Organic and Homemade... Handcrafted, definitely! But theyre all my own work... and I love the idea that seed next season will be mostly of our own seed!

Weve had some fantastic bouts of rain. I got home from dropping the lad off at school today, and just as I got out of the car, it hosed down really hard, filling the gutters and you could really hear it on the tin roof.
The Lazy Sloth inside me, just wanted to gather my pjs and go back to bed. I love, love, love that sound.
I could sleep all day under a tin roof with rain on it... but instead...

We Made Cupcakes!!!!The first time ever. And Miss A sat up on the bench and read from the cookbook (she cant read) We doubled the mix, and Im happy to say, we got 4 dozen cupcakes... Yes. We HAD four dozen... They were just small ones... and we liked them. Alot!
So, the icing had to be PINK of course, for some. The others had to be BLUE... and they were good with coffee. And for pudding after dinner...
I got told I was *A good Mummy* for making such wonderful  *Pop-cakes* --- cupcakes, Arlais. No, POPCAKES Mummy, cos you just go *pop* and theyre gone in your mouth.... Ok.

Im a-thinkin' its almost Winter. I feel a bit Wintery-fied tonight, it has definitely got colder... Im even contemplating getting the knitting out. Oh dear. It must be That Time of Year.

Well, I dont have a lot to report this week.
It has been a very slow start, especially after the extra hour with Daylight savings. However, its nice to be relatively still. Still having small aftershocks, but thats to be expected. I havent felt many of them, which is even better...

Will share my favourite loaf recipe with you - its so simple!
And theres not many ingredients, best thing is, you can swap and substitute too...

FRUIT LOAF
4 Weetbix, crushed
3 T Butter
1 C Mixed Fruit (any kind - dates, sultanas, raisins, mixed peels etc)
1 C sugar

1 Egg
1 C Self Raising Flour
1 t Baking Soda

Place first 4 ingredients in a bowl
Pour over 1 C boiling water, stir and let stand, soak for five minutes

Add beaten egg and sifted SR Flour and B.Soda
Mix well
Pour into greased or lined Loaf Tin
Bake at 180C for 45-50 minutes
Cool and slice - spread with butter :) Yum!
Some Ideas...
I put in half the sugar, and added 2 T of marmalade, really nice with the tang of lemon/orange

You could also add honey instead of sugar
Add Orange or Lemon peel with the fruit
Add cranberries with the fruit, chop some walnuts to add into the mix.

This is a super easy recipe, and it is filling and yummy for a Wintery Afternoon Tea.
If you give it a whirl, please let me know what you think!!!

Well, I must fly...
Love to You and Yours,

E Butterfly
xxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment