Friday, October 4, 2013

School Holidays and Evenings pulling weeds

Amazing pink sunset last night,  I was still out there pulling weeds and yakking to the neighbours and the kids who were all playing Hide and Seek... Ive proved my worth, I still get asked to *hide* people. The amount of noise that goes on, the giggling and growling, its a wonder anyone is ever *hidden*!!

Weve moved some things around, pulled out a power of weeds, and still I have a long way to go... Im always behind the game at this time of year with getting seeds started and such. I dont think I will ever be one of the first to put tomatoes in the ground because Im always worried about those last frosts catching me out.

Have found lots of seedlings again this year sprouting - borage, calendula, marigold, scarlet runner beans, silver beet, swiss chard (ruby and gold) and poppies everywhere. The bees will feel quite at home when they awaken and get moving... I hope they're on their way soon! Am very mindful that every year we seem to have less interaction here in the city with bees, so I plant accordingly and hope that they find something theyre attracted to I have heard of people with their own urban hive, that seems like such a lot of work, I wonder how rewarding it is?... Ahh - I will go and google or trot off to the library and do some research.

Had some small table squash last year, and have just put some seeds in to see if I can raise more. I like the acorn squash as theyre a really nice size for cooking, and taste so good! Also, trying some spaghetti squash this year. I like the idea of getting the goodies into the kids, either my own, or taking things across to school to see if they want to grow them. Had a gentleman come and buy some seeds from me today, it was so nice to have someone who was so into gardening give me some hints and tips. He is coming back later with some pots for me, and I have given him a couple of herb plants by way of payment. I enjoy meeting gardening folk, theyre usually good grounded souls!

Miss Seven has decided we are growing some Mexican Hats this year (Ratibida Columnifera) I like her choice very much, they will look great in the front garden if we can get the seeds growing. She is nursing a tiny daffodil bulb in a pot  we got at the Garden show earlier in the year, and cant wait to catch up with her lillies she got last year for her birthday. Theyre growing nicely, soon will need repotting.

Have some ulluco that have really grown well over Winter. A lot easier to grow than we were first led to believe, and in a sunny, windless spot, theyve got the size of small yams. They taste a little more earthy than yams, but I gather from my research, they have fantastic Vitamin content, so when mashed with yam or potato, they add an interesting taste (screws up face)

Still have to download my photos from the camera, but will work on that. I have a fellow gardener coming tomorrow to help weed a little bit, the plan is to scratch the dirt a little, exchange comments about the weather then we will retire and have wine and hilarity while I try to bbq a steak or two.

Im really impatient at this time of the year to have fresh tomatoes. I do miss them during the Winter, and dehydrated ones really are not a patch on fresh... neither is frozen. This year Im doing a few more than usual, and giving some new varieties a try out too... but I cant wait to make salsa and pasta sauce.


Long days and now we are half way thru the school holidays already. I got woken this morning by a sharp 3.3 jolt (Earthquake) I think it must have been the Port Hills fault, it was quite violent. However, all is good, I got up muttering something about extra supplies - toilet paper and candles!!
The kids have taken the dog for a walk and its very quiet out there... time to go and thin some lettuces.


Weve found this website, its a lot of fun, and the kids are getting to learn where places are in the World, by playing
GEOGUESSR



Thats us for now,
Love to All
EB
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment